Canada / US – Remote
Who We Are:
Flashfood is on a mission to feed families, not landfills. Our app connects shoppers with fresh produce, meat and other groceries at up to 50% off. By partnering with retailers across North America, we offer nutritious staples at affordable prices and reduce the amount of food going to landfills.
Eliminating retail food waste is an important problem to solve, but addressing hunger and food insecurity is an equally urgent problem. To date, Flashfood has rerouted nearly 100 million pounds of food to the plates of families, and we’ve allowed our shoppers to save more than $200 million on their groceries.
We are honored to be recognized as one of Fast Company’s 2023 World’s Most Innovative Companies, ranked #1 in the Social Good Category. In 2023, Flashfood was designated as a Great Place to Work and our team is growing! As we welcome new teammates, we are focused on fostering a culture of inclusion, where every individual feels valued, respected, and empowered to thrive.
Who You Are:
- You are excited about our mission and having a positive impact on the world
- You have a strong growth-mindset – you love giving and receiving feedback and thrive in an environment of open, honest communication where the best ideas win and egos are kept out of it
- You are a team player with high emotional IQ, critical thinking abilities and a strong business acumen
- You are solution-oriented, have a positive attitude and are not phased when things don’t go as planned
- You are reliable and trustworthy with incredible integrity – you do what you say you’ll do and always do the right thing even when no one is looking
- You have an extremely high attention to detail and a knack for “figuring things out”
- You are comfortable challenging the status quo, speaking up and saying the hard things when it’s necessary
- You are empathetic and enjoy seeing your teammates win
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced growth company environment.
- You are a resourceful problem solver, critical thinker and self-starter
What You Will Do
- Reporting directly to the Director of Finance & Accounting, your role will have many key responsibilities
- Ensure our accounts payable is up to date and accurate on a weekly basis, while managing invoice and payment management
- Perform bank and other general ledger reconciliations
- Responsible for payroll processing – including expense reports and other employee benefits; as well as managing the state registrations
- Leading the month-end process process and quarterly hard-close process
- Tracking fixed assets and preparing depreciation schedules
- Maintaining clean internal records for all transactions
- Record day-to-day financial transactions and complete the posting process.
- File GST/HST on a monthly basis.
- File US payroll registrations, W-2 forms, state filings, EHT filings and prepare T4/ T4A forms
- Adding employee expense reports into accounting system post approvals
- Lead process automations over time and find ways to bring efficiencies into our internal processes
- Assist with the annual audit process
Skills We’re Seeking
- Degree in accounting or business administration. Excellent knowledge of general accounting principles, with the ability to prepare, review and understand financial statements.
- 5-7 years of experience with overseeing a company’s financial data by maintaining accurate books on accounts payable, payroll and daily financial entries and reconciliations
- Experience with payroll administration in Canada and the US, preferably within a business-services environment.
- Clear and effective communication is a strength
- You have strong writing skills to create process documentation
- Familiar with Wagepoint and Ceridian payroll systems
- Asset to have experience with NetSuite accounting software
- Competitive base salary
- Company-wide performance bonus
- Ownership via option grants
- Casual and remote-friendly work environment
- Flexible working hours
- US & Canada Holidays
- Health Benefits & Retirement Saving Accounts (401(k) & RSSP)
- Maternity & Parental Leave Top Up Plan
- Professional development opportunities – $1750/year
- Monthly Flashfood credits