We are seeking an experienced engineer to bring security expertise to Substack’s engineering team. As Substack’s first dedicated security hire, you will lead security-oriented initiatives in collaboration with product and engineering teams at Substack. You’ll work closely with product and engineering leadership to elevate our security posture while being a hands-on engineer who can deliver tactical projects.
Substack’s compensation package includes a market-competitive salary, equity for all full-time roles, and exceptional benefits. Our cash compensation salary range for this role is $180,000 – $215,000. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
- Lead conversations around security, identify organizational needs, and be a point of escalation for security matters across multiple product and engineering teams
- Define security strategies for new infrastructure and product initiatives
- Empower secure-by-default development by product teams
- Perform structured security audits and drive remediation of risks
- Monitor Substack’s vulnerability reporting program
- Assist with code reviews to proactively identify potential vulnerabilities
- Collaborate with IT team on security operations and internal security
- 4+ years of relevant experience with security engineering or security architecture
- Domain knowledge across cybersecurity disciplines, with a focus on application and cloud security
- Independent and autonomous. We’re too small to micromanage and expect that every person at the company owns their work and can be a leader.
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard when working on production systems.
- Enjoy collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders while bringing your own unique experience and background to the team.
Nice to have
- Familiarity with some or all of our technical stack in a production environment: Node.js, PostgreSQL, AWS
- Experience working with consumer-facing products at a web-scale