Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart’s AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters live and work anywhere in the United States. However, we also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Machine Learning, Personal Loan Underwriting team is focused on leveraging machine learning to power Upstart’s underwriting models. This team is responsible for building the underwriting model which determines credit decisioning at Upstart. This model plays a central role in Upstart’s overall performance as a company and includes numerous challenging problems to solve.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, PL UW at Upstart, you will collaborate with our Research Scientists and other engineering departments. You will increase ML productivity through better software and infrastructure; and improve how we research, train, deploy, serve and monitor our models. You will reduce the time it takes to go from idea to production, and enable us to test out new ideas. This will all manifest in us delivering on our critical mission of enabling access to credit more effectively.
Position Location – This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Travel Requirements – This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per quarter at the an Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Build repeatable workflows and automation that enables scientists to spend more time on high leverage tasks (methodology, writing, analysis) and less on keeping the lights on or getting things to run
- Define and enforce best engineering practices across the PL UW team, helping scientists uplevel their technical skills
- Discover and develop a short and long-term roadmap of engineering improvements on the PL UW team
- Interface cross-functionally with other engineering teams (data engineering, machine learning platform, pricing, and growth software engineering), to provide feedback and requirements, so that we can build high-quality systems end-to-end
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- Bachelors with 6+years of software engineering experience in ML or ML-adjacent teams
- Experience working with most of the following technologies: machine learning libraries, public cloud infrastructure, containers and orchestration, backend programming languages
- Preferred qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or quantitative field
- Experience working as a software engineer in collaboration with machine learning teams
- Experience working in the fintech industry
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices