As our VP of Growth Product Management, you will be responsible for scaling Toptal’s Growth Product Management Team, driving growth product strategy, setting priorities, expanding capabilities, growing a world-class team, while delivering on ambitious initiatives and number-driven goals. You will grow the company’s $200M+ revenue base by working at the intersection of business, technology, big data, analytics and marketing. You will have executive accountability for all growth marketing-related products, including every aspect of Toptal’s main website. You will work with Toptal’s executive team to set Toptal’s long-term growth product roadmap and guide the company’s growth trajectory to new inflection points by creating exciting growth product initiatives that drive results. This is a role that expects the leader to combine SEO, CRO, creative (design/copy/etc), engineering, and growth tactics into one, in order to create world-class growth marketing products; from landing pages, signup flows and completely new websites to marketing efficiency tools. You will be the accountable leader to ensure the highest quality in all outcomes from the growth product team, scalable processes, and the reinforcement of an ownership culture across the organization.
This is a remote position. We do not offer visa sponsorship or assistance. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US at the time of hire. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The following information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or required skills.
- Work with the Executive, Marketing Strategy, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term Growth Product Management plans.
- Guide the prioritization of growth product management-related initiatives as the teams scale.
- Determine the KPIs and build the dashboards for each part of Growth Product Management, ensuring the team is able to execute effectively in the context of the success metrics for each aspect.
- Track progress, assess risks, coordinate delivery, and actively communicate contingency and mitigation plans for the team.
- Run various ad-hoc research and business analyses to assess opportunities and risks.
- Ensure the team is maximizing the impact of all growth product experiments by maintaining organized playbooks, automated systems, and dashboards which track the states and thresholds related to each experiment.
- Lead and grow a multi-level team of world-class Growth Product Managers using mature management and coaching frameworks, while continuing to scale the team.
- Facilitate effective brainstorming sessions which contribute to the generation of new ideas that push the boundaries of what’s possible within the team.
- Work with Finance and Marketing Strategists to build financial forecasts and projections that relate to the cost and return on investment for initiatives and experiments, both large and small.
- Partner with our first-rate execution team of Designers, Engineers and Analysts to drive on-schedule delivery of solutions and products of the highest quality.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication to your team and the organization on the company’s growth strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom and other means.
- Accomplish work objectives through leading and supervising other Toptal team members within Growth Product.
- Establish objectives and initiatives for the team, recommend the team’s structure and jobs, and organize, assign, delegate, oversee, and monitor work.
- Coach and mentor team members, provide feedback, conduct performance reviews, and implement performance improvement plans, if needed.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our internal operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the team and how they work with other teams. Identify opportunities that you see relating to furthering the growth product, organizational dynamics, and talent capabilities of the Growth Product Management team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing function and all related- external functions are working together with Growth Product Management.
- Have built a strong partnership across Engineering, Core Product, and all sub-functions in the Marketing team.
- Have charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high quality level for all Growth Product Management-related initiatives.
- Have garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals that you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Exemplify the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Uplevel the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute materially.
- Have introduced several growth products that are innovative, sustainable, and a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Growth Product Management is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have scaled the team and work output of Growth Product Management significantly.
- Demonstrate the successful implementation and execution of several new growth strategies and tactics.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the function for the long-term.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in STEM.
- Ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, the final work product that your team creates.
- 15+ years of experience working with Growth, Marketing, Engineering, and Product teams, with the last 3-4 in a senior leadership capacity at a technology/hyper-growth company.
- 5+ years of direct experience working as a Product Manager.
- You must have a best-in-class, analytical and data-driven background.
- Strong analytical ability – able to break down complex problems, and efficiently use data and analytics layered against high-quality user research to inform the direction of the product.
- You must be highly motivated by the prospect of scaling a company while leading a team of Engineers, Designers, Data Scientists, Product Managers, and Growth Marketing experts.
- Strong expertise in using data to synthesize information and make decisions.
- Extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams at rapidly growing businesses. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience interviewing candidates for analytical positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Experience leading and scaling cross-functional, dynamic teams, and guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals. A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- Ability to build highly effective training sequences for diverse skill sets.
- Ability to creatively craft solutions through data and a customer-centric approach.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs and growth initiatives.
- Strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and handle a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a diverse array of contacts.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Essential Job Functions
- Regularly and reliably attend scheduled virtual team meetings on camera.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Use all required digital collaboration tools.
- Prioritize and self-manage workflows and deadlines.